Sunday, March 30, 2014

My first Post: feelings about this class.

I am  so  excited to take this class. My School uses Google everything and my students are more familiar than me with it. I  do have blogs for my students for both my French and Arabic  classes and students share their presentations to my Google Drive .  However, I have not kept up with all the  developments. Sadly I am a certified BIT teacher but I have been mostly teaching languages and really  need to revamp my  technology repertoire , I am  behind the times in some things and I am hoping this class will help reshaping my knowledge and refreshing what I already  know and use.

My experience  started badly, with locking myself out of ClassRoad after several wrong logins. I also was not receiving emails but Mahbouba helped fix the problem( Thank You) and here I am !

I am looking forward to learning from others and sharing my experiences.

This year, my High School launched our first Arabic Class. It is only one semester class Language and Culture and it is an elective. I taught the  first semester class and it was awesome. The  2nd semester , we were supposed to add a new component. A neighboring district had a few students interested in attending the class without traveling to my school. We set up a Camera and a TV in my classroom and we were going to broadcast live to the other students. I was very nervous about the prospect because of course with Language classes I have people talking to each other and work with partners , I also do games with buzzers and people coming to the board and having students in another school on a TV screen was adding a challenge.

The first problem was connecting and we had problems with that.

Sadly, I received a phone call from Lebanon that my mom was transported to the hospital and I had to leave immediately. She passed away  :(  I was in Lebanon for 2 weeks, when my Arabic  class started with a sub.  The superintendent and the principal decided to drop the long distance part of the course and so I never really experienced how this will go.

We will see if this will happen  next year.

Our enrollments are down and since I was the last French teacher in , I am not sure if I have a job next year, but I feel the more I know the more experience I get with Distance learning the more chances I get at getting another job teaching if I lose this one ( I hope not, I will know next week!)

Has anyone taught with a TV and camera in their classroom? How did that go?
I would love to hear from you if you did.


No comments:

Post a Comment