Sunday, April 20, 2014

Comment on another group"s

  VoiceThread activity



I chose to comment on group 3, because the activity they chose is a little similar to our activity except they took it to the next level.
Their  students will also be watching a movie to start the activity, theirs is about immigration issues. I think it is a good topic but I feel that it is  a pretty heavy subject and a bit difficult to compare cultures with that.
Students will have to write a glossary on voiceThread of all the words and new terms they found and looked up on line. I really like that idea, it really engages the students to watch the video attentively and  make every effort to learn from what they hear and see. 
At the end of the activity, the students have to answer True -False questions to check their understanding, which we did too in our activity. Group  3 did it better though: they asked their students to correct the False statements. I remember having to do that in several of my classes as a student, and it forces you to reflect and weigh your answer. I think it really tells the instructor truly understands or is he/she just guessing.
The last part of their activity was for students to play a game where they will give a summary statement about the movie and "part of the game was that no  summary statement could be repeated."   I think it is a  very good idea, however if I was doing the activity, I would not call this a game (I am thinking of my own students who love games and are pretty particular about what is a game).  I would also worry, depending  on the size of the class, if there are enough ways to do a summary statement  that no other student has used before. This might be very challenging but not impossible if the students are pretty fluent.
I like our idea of doing a photo-story  or comic  strip to show understanding, students will still use the language and it will also foster their creativity and innovation skills.


No comments:

Post a Comment